Friday, January 9, 2009

Give it up for Canadians!

This is not a running post. This is a confession.

Are you ready? Good. Then, here it is:

I love the Canadian accent.

Yeah! No kidding! I do. You knew it was going to be something about Canadians, didn't you? My post title gave it away, huh? You're right. I've got to work on that. Anyway, I could listen to Canadians talk for hours. No, I'm not trying to curry favor with all of those fine running (and non-running! Hiya!) bloggers north of the border. No, ho. I wouldn't do that! Not me! I just honestly dig the accent.

This fact occurred to me last night as I listened to the Rangers' coach, Tom Renney, during an interview after the game. He's a charmer! With all those raised dipthongs and whatnot. Quite lovely.

I'm having a hard time pinpointing exactly what the allure is. There's just something about it.

Ah, Canucks . . .

So, lest you think that I've gone completely bonkers with my tipsy legs and Canadian love, let me tell you about yesterday's run (I know I said this wasn't a post about running but you just can't stop me!).

Last night was Yasso 800s. Why are they hard? I don't know. They probably shouldn't be. Maybe they were hard tonight to make up for the fact that I fell so in love with Thursday's run. Who knows?

Anyway, my plan calls for me to run these in 4 minutes. Whoop de doo. I warmed up for a mile and felt fine. I ran my first 800, and it was . . . well, I finished it. I sucked it up on the second 800. But then the third was OK. After the third 800, I called it a run. Finish on a high note, that's my strategy. Yes. Three and done. I cooled down and that was it.

Afterward, though, I felt much better than I normally do after speed workouts and I'm thinking that these Yassos are all right. Just like those Canadians.

And that's it! Have a great weekend, everyone.


***Edited: For those of you that are interested, I found a little info on Canadian English and their kooky raised dipthongs.

20 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

thanks for the love, eh?! LOL Great work on the Yassos! I really want to add more speedwork, when all the snow & ice is melted :o)

joyRuN said...

Dude - you need a link for "raised dipthongs". What IS that?

I need to watch more hockey to figure that out I suppose ;)

Unknown said...

Yasso 800s sounds tough to me. Good job getting 3 good reps done. :-)

Marci said...

I never knew I had an accent.. LOL. I spent the summer last summer doing Yasso's. I started with 4 and worked to 9 repeats (was supposed to be 10, but I never made it). They were good, but mentally tough!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love a Canadian accent too.

I grew up in Utah and just moved to Ky 6 months ago. They have very strong accents here, very southern. One girl at the dentist, told me I had an accent and that she thought I sounded like Sarah Palin. Funny huh? I so don't sound like her.

Denise said...

I lived in Michigan for a few years and couldn't get used to the "up north" or Canadian accent. The "eh" really got to me. I like my cut up Philly accent and happy to be home to a place where I can pronounce water as wuder and everyone knows what I mean!

Aron said...

i love any accents :) such a fun part of travelling around!

great job on the 800s!! have a great weekend!

Diana said...

I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan, so I totally have the Canadian accent. I've been living in TX for 4 years, and every time I think I've gotten rid of the old accent someone makes fun of me for saying something weird. Imagine a Canadian with a Southern twang. Yeah, that's me.
I love that you love it! I've only heard that one other time, and that was a french teacher down state (lower penninsula) that said the Canadian french was beatiful.

The Laminator said...

I think this is the first time I've ever seen Tom Renney and Yasso 800s mentioned in the same post. I love them both...

Nice job with the speed training.

BeachRunner said...

Great job on the 800's!

Renny's Rangers better suck it up and beat Ottawa tonight or he (and I) will be yelling some raised dipthong expletives.

J said...

Keep it up with the 800s! Just increase steadily when your body feels ready! It will definitely help in the long run!

RunnerMom said...

Ok, I'm going to try Yasso 800's when my knee is feeling better. I love track work.

X-Country2 said...

Ha! I love any accent, but I'm a sucker for a thick cajun accent.

Lily on the Road said...

Accent??? We have accents??

LOL!

As for Beachy, anyone can beat the Senator's this season! Gah, they are from my town...did I just confess that?

ECrunnergirl said...

Good job on the Yassos.....Im right behind ya on those repeats and I like to end a good speed workout on a high note :-)

Vava said...

I take it Tom Renney is not a Newfie, where the accents are awesome but (for me at least) next to impossible to decipher. It's the only Provice I've yet to visit, and I can't wait to get there someday soon.

Thanks for the nice post!

Marlene said...

We have an accent?! Really?

lol

speedygeoff said...

If you like accents, have a look at this.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k&feature=related

Aileen said...

Ohhhh Canadians...they've certainly sent some crap weather our way, haven't they?

I need to get my butt to Montréal to practice my French though, so perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh!

A Toronto girl out West said...

LOL I claim not to have an accent! I'm from Toronto and a lot of people say I sound like I'm from New York. Don't know what that means! :oP

Anywho - just popping in (as a Canadian) to give you some love right back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...