Friday, May 21, 2010

CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge spectator report

Yesterday evening, with temperatures creeping into the mid-80s, Conal and I made our way to the Empire State Plaza to cheer for Owen in the CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge. The 3.5-mile race is a local version of the Corporate Challenge and it attracts a huge crowd:

There were over 8600 runners signed up for the race, which made for crowded conditions on the streets of Albany!

Conal and I found Owen, after struggling to make our way through the traffic (what should have been a 15-20 minute trip took 45!).

We wished Owen good luck and he took off to line up. Then we met up with a friend so I could watch her son while she ran the race. While the runners were off sweating on the streets, the boys and I ran around the plaza:

OK, they did most of the running and I did most of the chasing and the yelling, "boys, wait!" but you get the idea. After 17 or so minutes of free-range running, we booked it to the finish line to watch the the runners come in. The winner crossed the line in 17:35 (whoa!) and I have to admit it was exciting to watch the speedy runners. Normally, I'm in the race so I don't get to see the top finishers and I always enjoy it.

We stood at the sidelines to watch Owen run to the finish and then headed back to our meeting spot so the boys could tackle each other for about a solid half hour. They never got tired of tackling. Except for when they shook it up a bit and played some sort of Sumo wrestler type thing. Bored, they were not!

It was a hectic evening but nice to see so many people out running. I'm sure there were many people who only run this one race each year and I think, good for them! Maybe they'll start to run more, who knows?

Now, we're gearing up for the weekend. It is supposed to be really hot up here -- feeling like summer!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

~ Felice

PS: I have a B-natal Therapops giveaway going on here.

9 comments:

J said...

FIRST! hehe

J said...

The corporate challenge here is in two weeks! I am excited I just hope it isnt sweltering outside! Looks like a really fun time! I like watching the fast people finish! But just like you I rarely see it cause I am running!

Suzy said...

I'm bummed we didn't see you last night, but there were so many people there! I hope Owen had a great race. ADP loved it - even if it was hot.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Marlene said...

Cheering can be fun! Congrats to Owen.

Also - I'm not entering your giveaway (no need for those right now, LOL) but I did link it for you on today's post!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

I <3 summer weather :)

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun!
I feel like we had 2 weeks of spring then the 90's settled in, ug!
Have a good weekend!

ChickinMama said...

The Workforce Challenge was my first real race three years ago, and some of my coworkers' first race--and this year we ran it for the third year in a row! I run regularly, and I race regularly, so I would say I definitely got 'hooked' on running and racing from running the challenge.

Unknown said...

I can't believe it's so warm there already! Our local RNR Marathon has so many people that run only that marathon once a year and I think that's cool. It's nice to see them so inspired and getting out there to have fun! Cute pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...