Monday, May 10, 2010

HMRRC Mother's Day Race recap



I could not be happier about the race yesterday!

First, though, let me set the scene: It was cold and windy yesterday. As in, 30mph gusts of wind. Windy. And the temperature at race time was around 4o*. Yikes. But, the sun was shining so it didn't feel too bad.

The race started at 10 and I got there around 9:30 to sign up and meet Amanda and Darlene. After signing up, Amanda and I ran a quick half-mile warm up and we were ready to go. We caught up with Darlene and the three of us headed to the start.

It was the 30th running of the HMRRC Mother's Day Race, a 3.5-mile course that winds through a fairly flat, quiet suburban neighborhood. I didn't know what to expect with this race for a few reasons. One, I had never run it before so I wasn't familiar with the course at all. Two, and probably the larger reason, I haven't raced since late February when I was only two months pregnant. Now, at almost 5 months, I wondered what I had in me. Other than the obvious.

I set three goals for myself:

A = 31:30 (9min/mi -- if I was feeling strong)
B = 35:00 (10min/mi)
C = finish feeling good

Well, well, well. I surprised myself and finished in 29:59! That's an 8:34 pace -- just about a minute per mile off what I would normally run, pre-pregnancy. So, basically, you could say that I shattered my goal. Or, you could call me a sand-bagger. I'm comfortable with either one.

I felt strong and really good the entire race. Don't get me wrong, by the end of the race I was ready to be done. But, I never felt like I was pushing it too hard; I felt like I was working and doing a good job at it.

My girls Amanda and Darlene had great races, too! Both of them beat their times from last year by about 5 minutes. Awesome! And Amanda took third place in her age group. Woo hoo!

Here we are after the race:

We look cold because we were!

All in all, it was a terrific time and I am so very happy that I decided to run the race. My itch has been scratched! But, as Darlene pointed out, it is only a matter of time before it comes back :-)

My race stats:

Finish time for 3.5 miles (3.55 on Garmin): 29:59
Mile 1: 8:38
Mile 2: 8:27
Mile 3: 8:20
Last .55 mile: 4:34
Age group place: 14/34
Overall place: 48/138

Happy Monday, everyone!

~ Felice

PS: I have a Subway gift card giveaway over here.
And, MerryMishaps is giving away a Thriv t-shirt here.

24 comments:

janis said...

That's AWESOME, Felice!!!

Darlene said...

Look at those negative splits! It was fun. Thanks for the support!

Marlene said...

Way to crush your goal!! What a great way to start Mother's Day.... hope you had a nice day after the race too! CONGRATS!

Jessica said...

Excellent!! Congrats!!!

Lauren said...

Wow great job! Negative Splits!!!

Suzy said...

Congratulations on such a strong race! You are doing well with running while pregnant.

Molly said...

way to go speedy!

Denise said...

yea!!! you did great, congrats!!!

and it was so cold yesterday! what the heck.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Congrats on a great 5K time! It's great when you beat your goals!

Bethany + Ryan said...

wow!! GREAT time!! congrats!

N.D. said...

wow you did great! and it was super windy here, too.

Anonymous said...

so weird its cold there! its in the 90's here! great job on the race!

Unknown said...

fantastic!! you did awesome!!

ajh said...

Excellent job! I would like to get over there for a race this summer.

I Run for Fun said...

Wonderful job! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

brrrrrrr, chilly run but a steamin' time! Nice job, love the smiles!

J said...

Great job Felice! That is awesome! It sure was cold out this weekend! I can't wait for the warmer weather to come back!!

Abby said...

Wow, very cool!! Congrats on a great race!

Aron said...

AMAZING job!!!!! happy mothers day <3

ihaverun said...

Congrats on a great race! Sounds like you had a good time, which is the most important thing =)

MCM Mama said...

Great job!! I barely run that fast now and I'm not pregnant. LOL

Oz Runner said...

awesome job on the race, that's a great time! maybe you set your goals too low ( ;

Heidi said...

Awesome, and you got faster as the race went on. WOOOHOOO!

Quix said...

You are such a rockstar - that beats me on my best day. :) Glad to hear you're able to keep running!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...