Sunday, May 16, 2010

Practice run.

This afternoon was the big "run the course" run for my running group. The idea was to meet at the starting line of the 5K, walk the first quarter mile to warm up, and then run the rest of the course. For my new runners, this would be their longest run ever. It was a big deal!

We lucked out with perfect weather. And we lucked out because all of the new runners were able to make it. I really wanted everyone to have a chance to get a feel for the course and run the distance as a group so I was happy when I learned everyone could make it!

So, how did they do? In a word: Awesome. Really! We walked the warm up and then we were off and running. I pointed out water stops and where each kilometer and mile marker will be. Since Darlene was able to join us, she and I shared some tips and information that I hope will make the race less intimidating and more just plain fun for everyone.

One of the best parts for me was when we passed the 3 mile mark and were heading toward what will be the finish line, two of the new runners just took off and sped to the end! Even though it was a practice run, they felt it! They had the itch to let their legs fly and off they went. It was very, very cool.

For the most part, the runners finished the 3.1 miles in about 36 minutes. I'm so proud of them all.

Here's the group post-run:

Janis, Jen M., me, Jen F., Bridget, Lisa, Darlene

Two things about the picture: 1) That's the New York State Capitol building behind us (it's an incredible building) and 2) Check out my belly! I've popped out so much in the past two weeks :-)

In other news, I find out the sex of my baby Monday morning. Couldn't be more excited!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

~ Felice

PS: The Subway gift card giveaway ends Monday at 11:59pm EST. Don't forget to enter!

21 comments:

Heather said...

What a great idea to run the course aas a group, so fun. You look so cute!

Unknown said...

Cute belly! I love that you are running while pregnant. Glad you had fun!

Alee said...

So fun!

Coachhrd said...

What fun! Sounds like you're ready to go.

Unknown said...

Yay group! Great job on the practice run!

ajh said...

Albany is surprisingly beautiful in places.

H Love said...

so cool...you look beautiful!

Unknown said...

Nice job with your group and I LOVE your little belly! Great picture of you all!

Laura said...

Hey it's the Egg in the background too! I grew up around Albany and forgot you were from there! Great job ladies on the practice run! And your belly looks cute :)

Kenley said...

Awesome Group Run. I bet they are so proud of them selves too. Great Pic and thanks for sharing this. Running in a group makes runs very fun and exciting. Do you have a name for your running group?

Bethany + Ryan said...

whoa, that's an amazing building!!! looks like a fun group and a beautiful place to run!

Abby said...

Very cool - sounds like you have a future as a coach!

Denise said...

congrats to the group!!! they are going to do great!

oooh, big news coming!! how exciting.

Aron said...

soooo fun!! you have a great group going :)

Marlene said...

Wow, great job! Those ladies will be well prepared for their race.

Great belly!

Quix said...

What a great group, and sounds like a great run. I don't know why, but I'm superstitious - I never run courses before races. I think I just don't want to KNOW what to dread, hehe. Seems like a reasonable thing to do though for a sane person. :)

Yay for Monday morning, can't wait to hear!

J said...

OMG You are finding out if you are having a boy or a girl! I am so excited! Glad you and the girls had such a great run this weekend! It sure was nice out! And the capital building really is awesome! Albany has so many really nice old buildings!

ihaverun said...

I love the belly! And congrats on the great run.

Miz said...

mmmmaaaaan I wish I lived near you.
Id beg my way into the group.
In more important news/queries: are you gonna share the sex with us? :)

Diana said...

That's so great!
Can't wait to hear about the baby! You are going to share since you mentioned it, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, something is wrong with your site in Opera, you should check into it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...