Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Running group update.

I haven't written about my running group lately but that doesn't mean they haven't been busy! For my first go at "training" a group of new runners, I think things have gone fairly well. We're less than two weeks from the big race so I thought I would share how the group has been doing.

We started out with a larger group and a few people dropped out along the way so going into the race on June 5th we have five new runners, one runner getting back into it after having a baby and my three key blogger buddies who've been awesome cheerleaders, supporters and running pals along the way.

First group run

The new runners are all moms of two kids, with the exception of Jen M., who has three. The fact that these women have successfully committed to making running part of their lives, while juggling the responsibilities of having all those kids -- never mind all the other stuff they have to do -- is proof that if you decide you want to do something, you can do it.

Chilly group run

"My runners" (as I often refer to them, you know, in my mind) started out 11 weeks ago, barely able to run for 5 minutes and now they are all regularly running 2+ miles and have covered more. A week and a half ago, they ran the 3.1-mile race course, so I know they can go the distance!

Since mid-March, I've made weekly plans for each of them and they've all done their best to run according to what I have laid out. They've dealt with twinges and tweaks in their muscles and joints and we've worked through them.

Before running the race course

This week and next are mini-tapers and then they'll be set for the race. Personally, I can't wait. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when they cross the finish line!

If you want to read more about any of "my runners" -- ha! -- I profiled each of them for a series of articles here: New Runner Profiles.

Have a good day -- it's going to be in the 90s here, we'll be outdoors but trying to stay cool!

~ Felice

21 comments:

Em said...

Hey girl! Love the blog! I just started up a running blog of my own, if you get the chance check it out! thanks :)
- em

Danica said...

You could count me as one of 'your runners.' I also am a mother of two, getting back into it after a seven year hiatus. I started in February also barely able to run five minutes. I'm up to 4-5 kilometers, five mornings a week. I read your blog regularly and reading about the group is very encouraging.

speedygeoff said...

They are a great looking bunch of people. All power to mothers!

Manderz said...

You have done such a great job!! I love following along with them as they reach new distances. Their excitment is contagious. I cant wait to run the 5k with them!

Kenley said...

Must be an awesome feeling to start a group and work with people and watch them improve day by day. I commend you on that accomplishment. Yes, when you have your mind made up to do something, you can tackle any obstacle to get there. Take care. Nice Work you are doing there.

Denise said...

i got hubs in shape for a 5k and i can't wait to see him cross that finish line. it's great seeing other people completing something we enjoy so much. i'm sure he'll never run another one b/c he hates it so much, but i'll still enjoy it!

Laura said...

This is such a great thing that you are doing, both for "your runners" and you! I am doing a 5k on June 5 in Charlton, NY...I know you are in the Albany area, any chance this is the one that you are training your runners for??

Felice Devine said...

LauraElaine -- We're running the Freihofer's Run for Women in Albany that day. Good luck with your race!

Marlene said...

Kudos to all of these awesome women... and their coach!

Christina said...

I envy you for working with the women and taking a stake in the them. They are truly fortunate. It will be a proud moment to see them cross that line. Good luck!

Diana said...

That is awesome!
Have you thought of doing online help for newbies? Like post the schedule you put them on. Or do you know a good place to go for that?

X-Country2 said...

That is so wonderful. Race day should be awesome. And you're totally right: if you decide you want to do something, you can do it.

Lauren said...

You've got to be so proud! you're really making a difference in people's lives!

J said...

That really is awesome how far they have all come! It really is impressive! It is nice to see new people getting involved in running!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Leading a running group is such a great idea! Glad it's going well!

Heather said...

Your runners are doing great. :)

Christina said...

It is awesome to be able to run with a group of people and provide lots of support and encouragement.

Anonymous said...

So much fun to run with a group!!! I love the profiles...how cute!

Anonymous said...

So much fun to run with a group!!! I love the profiles...how cute!

Lindsay said...

i'm glad your group is still going strong! we all know how hard it can be to stick with something new... especially an exercise routine. hope you continue to grow!

Aileen said...

You guys look like a good bunch of runners...so glad to hear (and see!) that everyone is sticking with it! Congrats to you and 'your' runners ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...