Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Conspiration.

I didn't think I would run today. Everything and everyone was conspiring against me.

My toddler (a normally wonderful sleeper) woke up several times during the night last night, which meant I did, too. (I'm so not into this whole teething thing.) I started the day exhausted. After a successful playdate and quick stop at the grocery store, I made lunch and -- huh? -- felt a tfh-like twinge in my hamstring. Clearly, I was going to have to hang up my Brooks for good. This gimpy hammie has been nothing but a downer (on and off) for years.

Post-lunch, in a depressed-about-the-hammie state, I checked my email and there was one from Owen saying he had to work late. And then it started to rain. No lie. I wanted to cue the music, slump down on the couch and cry some romantic-comedy style tears.

Only I don't exactly live a romantic-comedy style life so I decided to just buck up and take a little power nap (that's what people mean by buck up, right?).

Let me tell you, a 15 minute nap can pretty much change everything for the better. I took one this afternoon while Conal was snoozing and it did wonders. I woke up feeling a little less fatigued. The hammie pain was gone. (I told you it was tfh-like.) I prepared dinner and decided I would run as soon as Owen got home, rain be damned! It turned out that he was a mere 10 minutes later than usual and when I headed out the rain was only a drizzle.

Sure, it poured for the last half mile but, by that point, I could see my house so what was I going to do? Stop? Walk home? Nope. I just ran faster. Maybe I should hope for end-of-run rain all the time! OK, maybe not.

And now, I'm off to do the important work of filling out my brackets.

~ Felice

19 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad you managed to get a great run in! :D power naps are the BEST!!

Marci said...

Naps make everything better!

Anonymous said...

Hope your lillt one starts hving some better nights. Nice job finishing up the run. Hope you got your bracket finished.

J said...

I love 15 minute naps! I could have used one yesterday too but there just wasn't time!

I filled out my bracket too - except I haven't been paying attention to any teams so we will see how that goes!

Denise said...

Naps are the best! I think we should be allowed to take them at work!

Marlene said...

Glad to hear things started to look up and you got your run in - I *love* rain at the end of a run!

Vava said...

Naps are highly prized and rare commodities round my parts! Nice running, and good luck with the brackets. I'm not really rooting for any one team, though I've always been partial to Syracuse ever since they won be a bracket pool back in the mid nineties when they got into the final four as a pretty low seed (8, I think, though my memory is cloudy). Go Orange!

tfh said...

Fabulous job bucking up!

I love the "I don't exactly live a romantic-comedy style life." No, I don't think I've ever seen a rom-com that centers upon a teething toddler and power naps, but you know what? I'd like to. That would be gritty, and real.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love me a good nap.
Sometimes I love running in the rain, depends on my mood.

Aileen said...

Awwwwwwww good post! I'm glad you got out there. I do think naps in general would cure most the problems in the day. Maybe not global warming.

Aron said...

i looove naps!!! :)

great job getting out there and running after everything tried to make you not run :)

X-Country2 said...

Power naps are the best! Granted mine usually turn into a 2 hour ordeal, but I still consider that "power". :o)

Lindsay said...

ahh i wish i had your determination... nice job squeezing it in, and power naps are always good!

Unknown said...

I know it! It's amazing what a quick 15 minute power nap can do for ya. Better than chugging 2 cups of coffee LOL

N.D. said...

wow - that nap did the trick!! glad it helped!!!

joyRuN said...

Oh I LOVE naps! I make my little one catch a Noggin show on my bed while I snooze, & before I know it - she's out too :)

I Run for Fun said...

I love catnaps. They make you so refreshed...maybe because you sleep when you really need them, not when you have to force yourself to sleep.

Nice run!

Dori said...

Congratulations on running in the rain. I usually don't mind it once I'm out, but I hate the idea of getting all wet. My running cap helps keep the rain off my face, so it doesn't feel too bad.

Naps make such a difference!

Anonymous said...

those Toddlers get us every time huh?
just when I start to think SHE IS A GOOD SLEEPER FINALLY!! she has me up all night.

I wish I could nap. she doesnt and I deserve it :) because I, too, was a nonapper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...