Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It was bound to happen: The lousy run edition.

I deserved this one, this lousy run.

I've been all, "Hey, running is fantastic! Look at me speeding through speedwork and gliding through easy runs!" ever since I called off my marathon training. And I wasn't lying: my runs had been great.

Yesterday evening was, perhaps, payback for gloating. It was a lousy, lousy run.

I was all geared up to take on the hills. The wind was strong yesterday but I decided it would just make the workout more challenging. Go me!

Not so fast, Chicky . . .


I don't know what it was but my legs never felt into it. I got up the first hill feeling OK but my legs felt like they had cinder blocks tied to them when I struggled up the second. I even felt off on the flat and downhill portions of my run. I tried to push myself, but that only made my legs feel heavier. So, I cut the run shorter than I had planned and headed home, still feeling heavy and slow.

I haven't had a run like this in a while so I guess I was due. But . . . blech.

Today is a day off because my MIL and SIL are visiting. We're off to my niece's lacrosse game this afternoon so I'll probably try to trick myself into thinking that I am somehow being active by watching the girls speed up and down the field. And, who knows? I may even have to park a few dozen steps from the field. So there's that.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

~ Felice

22 comments:

X-Country2 said...

You need the occasional crappy run to make you REALLY appreciate the great ones. Next ones will be better. I just know it.

J said...

Have fun with your SIL and MIL! I have had those kinds of runs. Hopefully this will be a one time thing and your next run will be better

Rookie on the Run said...

I'm sorry for your lousy run. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not the only one with bad days! Have fun with your M/SIL!

Abby said...

Definitely been there - hopefully it'll make for a fantastic next venture out!

Enjoy the day with your family.

The Laminator said...

Bad runs happen. So no sweat, you'll get 'em tomorrow or the next day!

Aron said...

yes blech :( at least we know that they happen and that good ones come soon after. still bad runs are never fun.

have a great day!

Aileen said...

LOL...next time, my friend, next time! I think we've all been having rather craptastic runs of late (was that a pun? nawwww...).

Chic Runner said...

I so know the feeling... you'll get your groove back don't worry about it! :)

tfh said...

Ooh, no one deserves a bad run.

Hope the day off and dose of humility will make the next one great!

Vava said...

Way to tough it out!

Marlene said...

I know everyone says this, but the crappy runs really do make us appreciate the good ones!

It can only get better... right?! Way to get out there and take on those hills AND wind.

Alisa said...

It happens every once in awhile. Sorry about your crappy run.

joyRuN said...

I know what you mean. I'm due for a sucktastic run soon, & I just hope it doesn't happen on Sunday or on marathon day.

RunnerMom said...

Whoa.... when did you call off marathon training? I missed that!

Sorry you had a bad run. You rocked the speedwork the other day though. Running is so fickle.

Heather said...

We don't know what good runs feel like unless we have bad ones sometimes! Have fun watching lacrosse!

Diana said...

Sorry you had a bad run! but, I'm confident that it'll turn around again! You love it too much to have it last long.

Denise said...

We all have them...the next one will be better!

Natalie D said...

sounds contagious!!

Anonymous said...

I hate it when you are mentally ready but your body isn't feeling it.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

hang in there, the next run will be better :)

Anonymous said...

I cant say Ive been there with running (alas Im still at the place where just DOING IT makes it a fantiztastic run) but Ive so been there with lifting.

and I do what you did.

cut shorter and know the next day will be better.

I used to make myself go through the entire planned workout but found that then I only dreaded the next workout/feared it, too, would suck.

Lindsay said...

those bad ones have a habit of coming around every once in awhile, but at least they are still outnumbered by the good days!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...