Monday, March 16, 2009

Training time.

First off, thanks for all of the "no traffic" vibes. They worked! On Friday, we made it down to LI with little interference from other cars, trucks, SUVs and the like. And the trip home was even speedier. Yay!

But, we did have one teeny-weeny Friday the 13th mishap. When we arrived at my MIL's house at 10:30pm, it was freezing. That is, if you consider 59 degrees freezing, which I do. Not for outside weather, of course -- heck, if it was 59 degrees, I'd be running in shorts and a sleeveless top! But for in the house? Yes. A house temp of 59 degrees is freezing. Look it up. I'm sure there is a wikipedia entry about how inside a house 59 = 32.

The furnace, apparently, was broken and we would need to wait until Saturday morning for it to be fixed. Bummer. It was really cold. Freezing, as I mentioned. Things get fixed quickly on Long Island, though, because by the time I woke up on Saturday, the furnace guy had come and gone and the house was warming up.

The rest of the trip was really good. I went for an easy-peasy 4 miler on Saturday and then Owen and I went to a surprise 40th birthday bash that evening. We had a little too much fun so I was in no shape for a Sunday run, which was unfortunate because the weather was perfect. Today is another perfect day: sunny and 55 degrees, so I will be outside for my evening run. Probably in shorts.

I'm excited for today's run and for the start of this week. I'm planning to run the Delmar Dash 5 mile race on April 5th so I've worked out a little schedule for the next three weeks, starting today. I'd like to run a smarter race than I did in my recent 4 miler, which means I need to actually train a bit, rather than just run. Now that I've shaken my guilt about quitting the marathon training, I'm ready to train for these spring races. I might not be ready to commit to them in advance, but I'm ready to train!

Happy Monday!

~ Felice

17 comments:

Manderz said...

I think I am going to run that race too! Although I've only run 5 miles once - this past weekend HA! I got a couple more weeks to get the mileage under my belt.

Marlene said...

Glad to hear you had a nice weekend.

Sounds like you'll be well-positioned for a strong 5-miler next month!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sounds like a great weekend, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing race!

Unknown said...

I agree - 59 in the house is freezing. Glad they got the furnace fixed.

happy training :-)

Marcy said...

59 in a house IS freezing! My gosh my butt is shivering in anything less than 70 HAAHA!

tfh said...

Brrrrr. Glad there weren't any other mishaps and you had a great weekend overall. Yes, I'm beginning to think training for shorter spring races that require less recovery (and training) time than a marathon is just the thing.

Chic Runner said...

I consider that cold, believe me! :) Glad it was a fun weekend though.

X-Country2 said...

I'd have gone to a hotel before even putting down my bags. :o)

Glad you had a great weekend though.

Aileen said...

I'm okay with a cold house when I'm sleeping, but other than that, heck no!

Sounds like you're in a good place, training-wise, so good luck!!!

RunToTheFinish said...

oh no no the house can not be 59 degrees! maybe 63 when i'm sleeping, but when i'm awake at least 70!

The Laminator said...

59 is not a comfortable indoor temp! If you were running around on a treadmill maybe, but that's about it! Good luck in your 5 mile race training!

Abby said...

Yeah, our house was right around 60 for most of the winter. I spent a lot of time under blankets. Plural.

Sounds like a great weekend, freezing houses notwithstanding.

Dori said...

There's nothing like a sunny day to get a runner excited to go outside. Hope you have a great run and thanks for stopping by my blog.

J said...

With each smaller 4 or 5 mile race you run, the more experienced you will be and then you will be giving us all advice on how to run good races! So glad you have a plan to get you to run a great race!!

joyRuN said...

Happy training!!

59deg in-house is COLD! I keep mine 62deg when we're out & 64deg at night - my husband then cranks it up to 70deg when I'm not looking.

I Run for Fun said...

59 degrees inside the house is freezing. Glad you survived! Gosh, what would we do without central heating?

Sounds like you had a nice weekend. Ah, welcome warmer temperatures!

Lindsay said...

59 is definitely cold inside! sometimes in the mid-60s my fingers freeze up and i can't type. i'm glad it was only 59 though and not dropping much lower! yikes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...