Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Have you seen the muffin man?

Oh, it's me! It's me! I'm right here! Sure, I might prefer muffin gal, but I'll answer to muffin man, no problem. Hi!

Yup, I'm still addicted to the healthy muffins. In a recent post, I asked if you would be interested in seeing some more recipes and a few of you said you would. So, I'm going to sprinkle them about in this and some upcoming posts.

My goal is to make muffins that taste good. I do not want to make healthy muffins that make me gag. Or, that my son (who is the main consumer of my muffins) refuses to eat. I also want the muffins to be reasonably healthy. Since Conal does love to eat muffins, I want to feel comfortable letting him do so. By altering fat- and sugar-laden recipes, I can prepare healthy-ish muffins that we'll all enjoy!

Today, I have a blueberry muffin recipe for you. I'm still tweaking the pumpkin recipe so I'll post that as soon as I get it right.

Blueberry Muffins

1/3 stick butter, softened or melted
1 banana
1 egg
1/2c. sugar
1/3c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2c. fat-free plain yogurt
1/2c. fat-free milk (or 1c. of yogurt and skip the milk)
2-3/4c. flour (mix of whole wheat and white)
1/4c. wheat germ
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2c. frozen blueberries.

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.

Beat the butter, banana, egg and sugar. Stir in the applesauce, yogurt and milk. Add all the dry ingredients together and mix until just combined. Stir in the blueberries.

Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and bake for about 25 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top.

Enjoy the muffins warm from the oven and freeze what you can't eat within two days or so.

* * *

I have hills on the schedule today and I have a feeling they are going to be tough because it is super windy here in Windyville. Let's hope I don't wimp out!

~ Felice

19 comments:

X-Country2 said...

They sound really good! I love cooking with yogurt.

Aron said...

yummm those sound delicious! i think i will have to try :)

good luck on the hills tonight!

Anonymous said...

Okay...the recipe looks good! Yum! Go strong on the hills! :)

Marlene said...

I love muffins! Thanks for the recipe. I'm not a blueberry fan but I can make a substitution. :)

Good luck with the hills! Don't let a little windy stop you.

Lindsay said...

mmm muffins :) hope you were able to get out whoop the hills!

Denise said...

Sounds good, thanks for sharing!

J said...

Yay hills! Seems like everybody is doing them!! Hope the wind wasnt too windy! hehe Thanks for the muffin recipe! I will have to try it!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

those sound good! Once i have my kitchen again (long story) in just over a week, I am looking forward to cooking again! :)

The Laminator said...

Hills?! I just did mine and just hearing the word make my calves cramp up... Way to be hardcore you!

Marci said...

Those muffins sound good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Also thanks for signing up for Reese's Run. I truly appreciate the support!

Anonymous said...

So a banana in with the blueberry muffins? Sounds interesting - I'll have to try it out!

I Run for Fun said...

The recipe sounds good. I will have to try them! Thanks for sharing.

Laurel said...

Ooooh, I LOVE blueberry muffins! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love that some girls are now calling muffintops CUPCAKETOPS when they have lost weight.

but I digress :)

how were the hills??

Unknown said...

at first i thought you were posting about my midsection. d'oh!

hehehe

blueberry healthy muffins. yum.

Katie said...

YUM, thanks for sharing!! Any chance you have a healthy chocolate chip muffin or cupcake recipe? :-)

Felice Devine said...

Katie: I'm working on a choc. chip on! I actually add them to my pumpkin muffins to give them a little extra kick!

Alisa said...

Oh boy these sound delicious. Stay tuned next week on Wednesday...I'm starting a new weekly Wednesday post you might like...if you're into recipes =).

Natalie D said...

yummy!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...