Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gearing up for summer running.

It's Take it and Run Thursday! Today's topic is: Gearing up for summer.

I feel like I don't even have to write a post today; I should just send you over to yesterday's great guest post by Dr. Susan Kleiner on hydration. Proper hydration, after all, is especially important as the weather gets warmer (did you miss the post? Check it out here! Or, just scroll down, since it's my previous post.)

I'm making improved hydration my focus right now. Last year, I struggled with post-run headaches (of the debilitating sort) when it was really hot out. I got better about hydration throughout the summer but I still have lots of room for improvement.

Like in the area of all this coffee consumption. At the end of my last post, Dr. Kleiner read that I've been drinking a lot of black coffee before my runs. I know, I know! She suggested I switch things up and maybe replace some of my coffee with the orange mate Solixir that she developed. It will be gentler on my system than coffee, plus it is hydrating where coffee really isn't. I'm going to try it out. I liked the orange mate a lot when I reviewed the beverages so I just ordered a 12-pack. I'll let you know how it works out!

So, other than hydration, what tips do I have? Well, the usual, I'm sure. You know, sunscreen, run in the morning and evening, layers, sunglasses, etc., etc.

My big tip, though, is to look out for little ticks. Huh?!?! Yep, ticks. Even if your area isn't a high risk for Lyme disease now, it may be soon. Check out this risk map to find out your area's status. Not long ago, my region wasn't even a moderate risk area and now we're fully in the black. Both of my parents have had Lyme disease (they recovered fully) and a friend has chronic Lyme disease from which he has never fully recovered. Here's some more Lyme disease information, if you are interested.

So, check yourself out when you get back from your runs. You never know when a tick could get you and finding and removing the tick early, before it has had a chance to embed itself and potentially spread its Lyme disease ickiness, will reduce your risk of contracting the disease.

And, oh yeah, enjoy the warm weather and all the sunny fun it brings!

~ Felice

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I meant to write about ticks, too. I'm so terrified of getting lyme disease. Thanks for the tips!

Denise said...

Gross! I'm in high risk, too!! Good tip, though. I wouldn't have given it much thought.

Marlene said...

Ticks! That's something I would never have even thought of. Scary! I should look into a risk map for my area.

I hope the Solixir works out well for you.

Amy said...

Ew, gross, ticks!

Another reason for wearing a hat while running.

RunToTheFinish said...

ticks are seriously why I don't run in the woods...ewwwww

Abby said...

Ugh, the bane of my existence. My mom has had both Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever... Every time I'm running or biking on the trails, I'm paranoid about these little buggers!

HeatherC said...

Ewww - ticks??? really?! agh. Never considered this. I Really hate running with all the bugs out. when it's humid I feel like they stick to my face. and thats just disgusting.

I need to get some quality sunscreen too and sunglasses too. good point!

tfh said...

Good tips. I'd forgotten about ticks. It is about that time of year when my husband and I begin that romantic task of checking each other for ticks again, though.

I Run for Fun said...

Thanks so much for the info...it's really helpful. Lyme disease always in the back of my mind, I should make it a point of checking myself after every run.

Diana said...

That's one good thing about where I live...none to minimal. My dad had it though (recovered). No good, those darn ticks!

RunnerMom said...

Thanks for the info on hydration and ticks. I hadn't seen that map before.

I am not looking forward to summer running!

Lindsay said...

very good point about ticks (and other critters - esp on trail-like runs). i checked out that map - kentucky is good for one thing: no ticks! or well, no lyme disease anyway.

Rookie on the Run said...

Ticks? Ick! I don't think I have ever seen a tick in person but I know we have them around here. Mostly in the wooded areas, though.

I was going to write about sunscreen. But now I don't have to! :D

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Ugh, I shouldn't have looked at that risk map. I'll definitely be on the lookout!

Oz Runner said...

hydration has been my focus lately too...never knew there was a "tick map"...luckily my area is minimal or no risk...

Ace said...

Good advice! Thanks for the reminder.

Megan Champion said...

I have never even thought to look for ticks! Gross! thanks!

Ron said...

I used to run in the woods a lot growing up, never had one myself, but we did find one or two on our cats/dogs over the years.

btw They have to be burned to release - yikes.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

love the new look and header :)

J said...

Love the new look!! Saw on your sidebar you made crabmeat mac and cheese...How was it? Did you make it?

anyway, that is a good tip about the ticks...they are nasty little buggers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...