Friday, May 1, 2009

Yum, yogurt. Some follow-up. Hooray, it's Friday!

It's like a 3-for-1 today. Life's grand, huh?

Let's get right to it.

Oikos Organic Yogurt Review

The folks at Stonyfield Farm sent me some coupons to try their Oikos Organic yogurt for free and let you know what I thought of it. As you may be able to tell from this post title, I liked it. I thought it was, in a word, yummy. So did my toddler. We started with the blueberry yogurt, which Conal scarfed down like there was no tomorrow. He really, really liked it. I fought hard for a spoonful to try for myself and I quickly understood why he liked it so much. It was as thick and creamy as full-fat yogurt, only it has no fat at all.

Next we tried the plain. Same thing. Thick. Creamy. I foresee effortless, no-more-straining-the-yogurt-for-hours tzatziki in my future!

My only issue is with the price: The stuff is a little on the expensive side. It's a quality product, though, so it's worth it. If you're interested, you should check out the Oikos site for coupons!

Follow-up

Remember the Solixir drinks? Well, I was emailing with the founder, Scott, and he suggested trying the pomegranate ginger flavor after a run. I'm weird about my post-run routine. I usually have a few dried cranberries, raw almonds and a little coffee. I follow that with some water. It's just my thing. I get paranoid about headaches and that routine just works for me.

Anyway, I ran on Tuesday and tried the pom ginger afterward (instead of coffee) and, you got it, Scott was right. Very refreshing. The not-too-sweetness of the drinks, which was deemed a problem for regular drinking when my mom friends and I sampled the drinks, was a benefit for post-run hydration. I don't want to drink something that is too sweet after a run. So, this worked. Yay!

Friday!

Big plans? Date nights? Races? I hope you have fun stuff on your schedule. Me? I got in some speedwork this afternoon. I'm off to my MIL's house tonight and back home late, late Saturday night. I'll also be rooting for all the racers this weekend including Beachrunner, Jo, Aron, Melanie, Joy, Kavi, Abby and Kara. And anyone else I forgot!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

~ Felice

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

the drinks sound like how propel tastes to me - not sweet enough to drink normally, but post workout - delicious (and still not as sugary as regular gatorade). hope your speedwork goes well and have a fun weekend!

Erica said...

Thanks for the information on the yogurt going there now to check out the coupons.

Abby said...

Thanks for the shout-out!

I just saw Oikos on sale today ($1 each) and after reading a couple reviews, I bought it for the first time - I'm looking forward to trying it. I also gave that sobe lifewater a shot, the one you reviewed a couple weeks ago. I agree with your assessment. I had the pomegranate, and it was just a little bit too sweet. Maybe I'll try the apple pear.

ShutUpandRun said...

Yeah I agree with you on the yogurt. Too pricey. I will use it anytime I make home made tzaziki, though. It is just the right consistency for that.

Velma said...

MMM that sounds fantastic. I will have to try it. I am really rigid about my post-run routine as well.

Denise said...

I agree about the Oikos...it's so good but pretty pricey. I eat a thing of yogurt a day, that would really add up. AND I like to buy yogurt in the big containers so there is less waste.

Rookie on the Run said...

I tried the Oikos in Vanilla. I've never seen it in blueberry. That sounds yummy. I don't know if you have Trader Joe's where you are... they have their own brand of organic Greek yogurt and it is cheaper and very yummy!

Have a fun weekend!

N.D. said...

I thought the same about the oikos and tried the honey which actually had honey in it.. interesting. They are pricey though!

Heather said...

Love the not so sweet, but sweeter than water post-run drinks. Have a great weekend!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Thanks for the shoutout! Hope the speedwork went well, have a great weekend at the MIL's :)

Mama On The Run said...

Going to look for that drink - Solixir - never heard of it...hmmmm.

Alisa said...

Mmmm tzatziki sauce!

Really neat that the company founder gave you a tip! How cool is that???

Lori said...

That yogurt is definitely on my list to try. I love greek yogurt, but haven't been able to try that variety yet. Thanks for your review! :)

Aron said...

just catching up :) thanks for the shoutout!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...