Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pre-race jitters. Already.

I'm already nervous and my race isn't until Saturday. Not only that, it's only a 5k. Not a 50k or even a 15k. Just a 5k.

Except, for me, it's not just anything. For me, it's a big deal because way back at the beginning of this year I set a goal for this race. I want to cross the finish line in 22:59 or faster. My fastest 5k ever was 22:57 and that was run when I was a spry 32. Post-baby, my fastest 5k was 23:27, run last October. Since determining my goal, I have been working hard to shave those 28 seconds.

I've run speedy intervals of varying lengths (200s, 400s, 800s, mile), hill repeats, hill fartleks, and tempos. I've balanced the hard work with enjoyable recovery runs, run at true recovery run pace. I should be full of confidence that, having done the work, I will achieve my goal.

Yesterday's 4-miler felt great and the entire time I was running I envisioned myself doing exactly what I need to do over the course of Saturday's 3.1 miles. Positive thinking. Visualization. Will it work? Tell me it will work . . .

I can do anything for 22 minutes and 59 seconds. I can run hard. I can ignore a problem toe that likes to make its presence known all the time now and especially on hard runs. I can cross my fingers behind my back and lie to my lungs, making them believe that this is the last time they'll have to work this hard. Last time ever.

Only I know that even if I cross the line in 22:59, it won't be the last time. I'll be setting my sights on 22:30 and then 21:59. And -- let's not even think about it -- if I cross the line slower? Well . . . try and try again. Sorry, lungs. And, legs, I'll apologize to you, too. You're all going to have to work hard. This Saturday and beyond. Whether or not I achieve my goal.

But, really, I'd like to do it. 22:59. It's doable.

Yes. It's doable. Even for jittery me!

~ Felice

29 comments:

Marlene said...

The jitters are totally understandable, but you're ready for a sub-23! YOU WILL DO IT!

Lindsay said...

it doesn't matter what distance - jitters are normal! it's the competitive fire within :) heck i get nervous about upcoming speedy-training runs and having to meet those goals!

22:59 or better, watch out!

Unknown said...

Good luck! Just think, "This too shall pass!"

Heather C said...

Jitters are there whether it's 1 miles or 26.2! Thats what we love about "Racing" right? :) you'll do great!!

Amy said...

Those pre-race jitters never go away no matter how many races you run, but they're good because they mean you take the race seriously! Let the butterflies help you fly :)

Abby said...

Totally doable - you're going to rock it!

Velma said...

Go get em!!

Diana said...

Kick Butt!! You can do this :)

Heather said...

Yes, it is doable! You are going to rock that 5K. And I agree . . . it is never "just" a 5K. I think 5K's are hard because you have to run so hard in them. :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I am the same way...always reaching higher. You will be great! the nerves and excitement will take you across is "spry 32" form!!

ShutUpandRun said...

Oh, it's doable!! I know what you mean about getting nervous when you are trying to get a specific time. I think the nerves will make you even faster. Can't wait to hear!

Chic Runner said...

Good luck! I have butterflies too :) You'll rock it! Just think, you're almost done when you just begin.

Denise said...

It's totally doable!! Can't wait to hear how well you do!

Marcy said...

Go get em chica! Just line up waaayyy up front and you'll be good to go :-)

Marci said...

You will do great!! Good luck!

X-Country2 said...

It's TOTALLY doable! Go get 'em!

Alisa said...

You got it in the bag! All that speedwork you've been doing I'm sure will pay off.

J said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! I am sending all my speedy thoughts and prayers to you for this weekend!!

Miz said...

so exciting.
Im really (still.again.) in awe of your running focus and drive.

Ill be cheering you on from Texas.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

ooh I love and hate pre race jitters! Part of the fun! Good luck, you are going to do great!

Aron said...

you will do awesome!!!! good luck!

Anonymous said...

You are going to run great! Isn't it funny how after running marathons and longer distances that you can still get nervous for a 5k.

Middle-of-the-Pack Girl said...

yes, positive thinking will work. as you're going up the hill, think of how good it'll feel when you hit the top. imagine balloons tied to your wrists, and keep repeating "floating, floating, floating" to yourself. I did it last year when training for a marathon, then others started doing it, and they swore it helped.

I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!

Just concentrate on this one race, don't think about how you can beat it later on, during the race. Just focus on the one goal.

Wendy said...

You will do great!

{will run for margaritas} said...

Good luck! Sounds like you totally got it!

Aileen said...

Ooooo good luck! Man that's fast...

raulgonemobile said...

Hey, good luck! Can't wait for the race report!

Gina said...

An recent Times Union article says this:

At the 2-mile mark, you've hit the home stretch. The rest of the course slopes down a total of about 70 feet.So even if you start to feel like your legs are giving at 2 miles just remember it is all downhill (in a good way) from there!!

Manderz said...

Ive been meaning to as you about the course. Are there a lot of hills?

I am excited to see the comment above about the last mile being downhill!!!!

You will do amazing - all of your hard work WILL pay off.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...