Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hello, Mama.

Back before I became a mom, I would show up at races and see all of these moms there, all fit and happy, their kids hanging around with their dad or older sibling. Many of the moms were older than me, but some were younger. Many of them were faster than me, but a few were slower.

I used to wonder about them. Wonder about the moms who not only ran, but ran races, and ran them well. "Who does that?" I would think, imagining that if what everyone said was true about having kids -- that, you know, you never sleep again after they are born* -- then it didn't make sense for these women to run in their spare time. Why wouldn't they just nap?

The joke's on me, right?

I guess so. Because here I am now: A running mom. A mother runner. Or, muthah runnah, if you prefer.

Now I get it. I understand why those women ran and ran races and ran well. Because now I am one of them. I want to run more than ever now that I have a child. And not because I want to get away from my son or because I need time alone or any of that (although some days . . . ). No, running is my thing and I think that once you have a kid, your thing (whatever it is -- and it might be many things) sorta crystallizes and tends to become more important to you. It becomes something that you have to be either completely into or it becomes not worth doing. For me, running is very worth doing. Some other things? Not so much. They've been dropped but running remains.

The point of this post, though, was to be a salute to running moms. It's Take it and Run Thursday at Runners' Lounge and that's their theme this week: Salute to running moms. I do that. I salute you, running moms. We rock.

But we're not much different than other non-running moms. Sure, we run. But the non-running moms have their own things and that's cool. So, I salute them, too. And -- since I'm on a saluting roll -- I salute all the non-mom runners, too! C'mon, Internet, how 'bout a big group hug?

Gosh, I'm corny.

Luckily, I hear my toddler calling, which means nap time and today's blog time is over. No more corniness from me! Enjoy the rest of the day!

~ Felice

*Which isn't, by the way, true.

19 comments:

Chic Runner said...

Yay! you do rock! :) What a cute post. You are the best and muthah runnah, LOVE IT! :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

LOL muthah runnah! Very cute! :D

Rookie on the Run said...

That's the biggest reason why I fell in love with running... it's MY thing. I also love it because it has become my ME time. It's time for me to think and renew.

Love the post! I could just feel the love... we are some rockin' muthah runnahs! Ha ha... you ought to put that on a running shirt. :)

Marcy said...

What? I do it ONLY to get away from these kids :P LOL JK! YAY for Moms ;D

J said...

I dont have kids but what you wrote makes sense. You need to have "your thing" and running is it! I like what you said about how after having a kid running is more important to you now! Something for me to look forward too!

RunnerMom said...

Hey, Muthah Runnah! Loved this post.

Amy said...

Aw, I LOVE this post. Love it.

joyRuN said...

Love your corniness! What a great post :)

It's a good thing the running stuck for me, & not scrapbooking.

Anonymous said...

I love this post!! Happy Mother's Day. You rock.

Sarah Jane said...

Yeah Muthah Runnah!

I am just now opting for running over napping! What a feeling! :)

tfh said...

Ah, so I'm not the only one who does it, then. Who looks admiringly at and wonders about those mother runners at my races-- many of whom not only run faster than me but are pretty darned svelte. Love the group hug. And yes, I think all moms gotta have their things, just like all non-moms.

NY Wolve said...

Yes, and what a great example you set for your daughter, other moms and other dads too!

Unknown said...

Great post!

I Run for Fun said...

I have always wondered how you mothers do it all! You deserve 2medals at every race!

Happy mother's day!

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Yay for you! I can't wait to be a mother runner one of these days!

X-Country2 said...

I love seeing dads at races holding down little kids and cheering on their wives. I can't wait to be a mutha runner some day. :o)

Lindsay said...

you definitely rock! running moms have way too much over me. i never know how you do it! i struggle with just taking care of myself, let alone a whole family. you are an awesome mutha runnah!

Lori said...

I loved reading this. I am always inspired by moms who run (and who get that baby weight off for that matter :)).

Just came by to say Happy Mother's Day to You!! Have a great weekend!

Aron said...

awesome post!! i hope someday when i am a mom i will be a muthah runnah too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...